Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Legally Educated

Every lawyer is required to complete a certain number of hours of continuing education every year or two years depending on the state they practice in. In New York, we must complete 24 hours every two years.

So every summer I pack up and head to a conference for two days that fulfills a large portion of my requirements and I teach at another which fulfills even more. And every summer I come away with the same thoughts. These training sessions become more of a showcase of the presenter and how much he/she has done over providing substantive help and knowledge to those attending.

I appreciate it though because it helps me when I present. I make sure I provide the law and practical steps on how to apply what I am talking about. This is an hour of teaching after all, not an hour to discuss my career highlights. That's not to say all the presentations fall in this category, but a large number of them do and force attendees to walk away with no more knowledge than they began with.

2 comments:

  1. It's like that in all fields, trust me, and it's a shame, too, because no one needs their time wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came for the conference, stayed for the free coffee and donuts.

    ReplyDelete