Monday, March 18, 2013

The Perks of Working for the Man

As I prepare to take two weeks off to care for my wife and new child, I realize the advantage of working for someone else.

There is an entrepreneurial streak that runs through me and my mind often wonders where I will end up. It's part of the reason I started this blog and have committed to various other projects. I often think about what it's like to venture on my own into some new field and the amazing part of life is where those decisions will take you.

But working for someone else has its advantages. I get to to take two full weeks off to be home and don't have to worry about a paycheck not coming in. I've been working hard for the last few weeks making sure my work is caught up, but I still have co-workers ready to pick up the cases I could not address. Heck, even my health insurance is fantastic and a major advantage of my job.

It's part of the reason the posts have been infrequent the last few weeks. I've been working long hours at work and at home getting ready so that I can devote two full weeks to my most important job, being a father.

If I were working for myself, I would probably have to work a little bit every day. When solo attorneys don't work, they don't get paid. When they don't answer their phones, clients move on to someone else. So there are trade-offs in every field, but today I'm happy I've taken this road.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a very special time it is, and good on you for taking the time to help. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It's a mixture of pure excitement and nervousness.

      Delete
    2. I remember when we brought our first home from the hospital. She was sleeping when we came in. We put her down, looked at each other, and said, "Now what?"

      Delete
    3. Can't they send a nurse home with us to show us what to do?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Boy or girl? Future prosecutor or defense attorney? (grinning)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will find out when he or she arrives. I'm pushing for an engineer.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy you are taking 2 weeks off..its quite an adjustment when you get the baby hom. I cant wait to meet my new niece or nephew!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Good to know my family puffs up my blog stats

    ReplyDelete