Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricanes vs. Snowstorms

I live in a town whose reputation was built on snow.  Once every twenty years a huge snowstorm will hit, piling up drifts over ten feet high and shutting the city down for days.  It is very infrequent and most winters are mild with just enough snow to make the ski slopes pleasant but not enough to create problems.

As Hurricane Sandy (or Frankenstorm) approaches the East Coast, I wondered what I would rather battle - hurricanes or snow.  Maybe we can throw in mudslides, tornadoes and wild fires too.  No matter what area of the country you live in, mother nature has some danger in store for you.

New York State will be battered by rain this week, which means everything will take twice as long.  For me, it means I don't have a lot of time for my planned post today.  So I figured I'd put a survey together.  If forced to live in an area with natural disasters, which would you rather face?

Good luck to everyone facing Sandy and stay safe!

2 comments: